Friday, February 6, 2015

New Friends and New Creations!

Meet my new friend!

Sally! Yes I have named my sewing machine.
This sewing machine was a gift from my aunt who passed away a few years ago. 
She was a fashionista of her time and created her own clothing because none of the clothes that were sold at the department stores fit her the way she preferred and she had a petite figure which made it difficult to find clothing that will fit her "perfectly".



I realized that instead of staring at this machine that it would be nice to be efficient and productive and put this machine to use. Now, keep in mind that I have never sewn anything in my life and have never used a sewing machine. 

So if you don't try, you'll never learn. So....I tried and I created this shirt.

It is a 3/4 sleeve shirt, loose fitting, with dual designs and dual material.
Cotton & Polyester Spandex. 
Outfit with this shirt is below.

So the process of all this was actually frustrating, BUT I felt really accomplished when I completed my first creation. 

What I learned:

1. Patterns are very important and lining up material when you sew is important. 

2. Sewing two different types of fabrics is very tricky so you need to make sure you are aware of how the fabric works in order to sew it correctly. 

3. Patience even if you have to start over and when you are trying to find videos on how to do certain things when you sew and how to use the gadgets on the sewing machine. There was one Youtube video that did help a lot by Crafty Amy. Check It Out! How to use a sewing machine + Sewing Tips! (Easy for Beginners)

I will be doing my own tutorial on how to use a sewing machine for questions that I had while teaching myself as well, So Stay tuned for that. 

4. Too much seam allowance makes it very difficult to sew 
(So Make Sure you cut only 1/2" or less of seam allowance for your pattern)

5. Must practice sewing straight lines I did and it did help a lot when learning how to control the sewing speed and making sure the stitch is in a straight line.



#Clothing
#Creativity
#Sewing
#Shirt
#Fashion
#Fun

No comments :

Post a Comment