Sunday, May 24, 2015

Second Creation - Husband's Hoodie Shirt

Welcome! Welcome! Friends!

I finished my husband's shirt/hoodie before I left for my Belated Korean Honeymoon.

I have photos of each stage of my journey in figuring out how to make shirts for my husband.

First, when I was researching on measuring for clothing for men and women, at first I thought it was the same, but I found that the measurements for men's and women's clothing were entirely different. I am still figuring out the details on how to measure a women's clothing, but I think I have figured out the general idea for men's clothing.

I will have the exact details of how to measure men's clothing on another blog post.


But for now, here are some photos.

After the required measurements, I put the measurements onto poster board.

 I initially chose the color of the poster board to be neon orange because it would be easier to see any markings.







I made patterns for each piece of the shirt that I wanted for this particular design:

1. Front
2. Back
3. Short Sleeve
4. Long Sleeve
5. Hood

**I did not need the Long Sleeve, but making the initial long sleeve patter was necessary to create the short sleeve, so I figured that in the future if I wanted to make a long-sleeve shirt, it would come in handy.



Second, I took the fabric and cut out the patterns with about 1/2 inch seam around the entire pattern so that just in case I messed up, I would have some wiggle room.

Keep in mind, this was my first attempt at making a men's shirt ever in my life, so correct me if I'm wrong.









After I had completed cutting out all of my patterns onto fabric, it looked like the following:



After you cut the patterns, I sewed them along the
pattern lines with the universal needle with a straight stitch and went over it with a zigzag stitch for support as you can see in the following pictures:


 











After I sewed all the pieces together, here is the final product.
As you can see, I improvised on the hood and used the extra fabric from the body of the shirt for the edge of the hood itself to give it a little pizzazz.


 
Reflections:
 
1. I learned that I needed to adjust the measurements of some of the pattern blocks to coincide with the actual size of my husband, so on the original pattern blocks I added a few inches in various areas.
 
2. When sewing a V-neck, I am going to have to invest in trying to figure out how to sew a collar into the shirt because just folding the edge over and stitching did not seem to be working well.
 
3. Need practice sewing two different types of fabrics (i.e. Stretchy polyester and regular cotton)


Q&A for You:

What are your best practices or advices for sewing two different fabrics together?


I hope you enjoyed it!
Please subscribe and stay tuned for more!


No comments :

Post a Comment